Human Rights & Equal Opportunity
Harmers Workplace Lawyers is highly regarded for the depth and balance of its experience and expertise in the area of human rights and equal opportunity.
We recognise that matters in this area can be highly sensitive and may carry the additional risk of reputational damage for the parties involved. We regularly advise companies and boards on strategies to manage the myriad of legal, commercial and reputational risks that arise in this context, both in terms of preventing and defending against potential and actual claims.
The services we provide in this area include:
- assisting clients to develop and implement policies and procedures which are legally compliant and designed to minimise exposure of our clients and their key personnel to potential claims under applicable human rights and equal opportunity laws;
- providing tailored workplace and training programs for staff, including senior management, in connection with promoting best practice and diversity in the workplace;
- providing strategic advice to boards and senior management on matters of corporate governance and risk management; and
- conducting independent investigations on behalf of corporates in both the public and private sector in relation to allegations of workplace bullying, unlawful discrimination and harassment, and other forms of misconduct.
We work closely with our clients to resolve complaints on an informal basis at the earliest possible stage. We also represent clients in all federal and state courts and tribunals, including the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Fair Work Commission.
- Harmers Workplace Lawyers was founded on a commitment to promote fairness and justice in the workplace for all. In furtherance of this commitment, the firm has acted in relation to some of the largest discrimination matters in Australia’s legal history including Christina Rich v PWC, Kristy Fraser-Kirk v David Jones, Rebecca Richardson v Oracle and the successful appeal to the Full Federal Court in the case of James Ashby against Peter Slipper. Our work in this area makes us better placed to develop and implement preventative risk management strategies for our corporate clients.